बुधवार, 10 जुलाई 2013

To Sir With Love – A Tribute To Asghar Ali Engineer


To Sir With Love – A Tribute To Asghar Ali Engineer


His death is a great loss to various sections of society – academia, social reform and the budding bunch of intellectuals, who are trying to decipher the current state of the world and the direction it is headed in. In a world dominated by materialistic desires, where everything is a simplistic transactional process, Sir will be sorely missed for the vibrant thought leadership he provided to society.


Yesterday was a solemn day, as I felt the `missing presence` of Sir in his office. By Sir I mean the great scholar, intellectual and reformist Asghar Ali Engineer who passed away in May. I told his son Irfan that I could feel Sir was still around.

I first met Sir in 1993 during his lecture at Mumbai University. I approached him for a job as I had done my post graduation in Politics and he was running a social research organisation. I got the job as a research assistant and he thus became my first employer. I worked with him closely for a year and a half and then moved on to explore my life ahead as a journalist.

Twenty years later too I can feel the impact of his personality on my life, especially in the writing space. He authored an incredible 70 books in his lifetime and I was witness to his voracious reading and writing abilities. It was a proud moment for me when he at short notice agreed to launch my first book `The 20 20 20 20 Formula For Success` on June 19, 2011 at Mumbai University's Kalina campus.

Besides the gift of language and of the gab too, he carried an almost superhuman sense of courage and conviction. All his life he stood up fearlessly for what he believed in, travelled the world to get his message across and worked real hard. His autobiography `A Living Faith` is a must-read for those looking for establishing a firm purpose in life. The book brings alive the joy of purpose, sufferings, toil and concern for developing a just society like only a man obsessed with his mission can. Sir was a giant in his field and commanded the respect of people from all walks of life.

His contribution to my life I realise now is immense, as somewhere I was inspired by him to intellectualise, analyse and write. Though I hardly met him a few times since I moved out of his organisation in mid 1995, his influence stayed with me as I wandered through careers and companies in an attempt to discover my personal purpose.

It is rare indeed to be closely associated with people of Sir's stature. He transmitted inexhaustible energy and was truly an extraordinary human being. When he spoke, people listened. When he wrote, people `listened`, for his writings communicated with the reader, and when he read, he was a genuine student of knowledge and perspective.

His death is a great loss to various sections of society – academia, social reform and the budding bunch of intellectuals, who are trying to decipher the current state of the world and the direction it is headed in. In a world dominated by materialistic desires, where everything is a simplistic transactional process, Sir will be sorely missed for the vibrant thought leadership he provided to society.

There will hardly be anybody else like Sir. He died the way he lived – FIGHTING. Thank You Sir. This world will miss you, ALWAYS.               

कोई टिप्पणी नहीं:

एक टिप्पणी भेजें